If your furnace is showing obvious signs of malfunction, you might be tempted to wait a while longer before having it replaced. Whether you want to wait for a sale, or a more convenient time, or some other reason you might not be aware of how a dysfunctional furnace could be costly. Here is why you should get a replacement furnace as soon as possible.
It Can Save Your Health
Another issue with an old or improperly functioning furnace is how it can affect your health. Consider that furnaces involve air movement through your home and generating hot air. Here's why replacing your furnace with a new one can help avoid:
- Carbon monoxide being spread through your home due to a faulty heating mechanism
- Preventing the spread of dust, mold and other compromised air that cause or exacerbate health issues such as asthma or allergies
- New furnaces can clean and moisturize the air to mitigate breathing issues
Some of the health issues are relatively minor, but carbon monoxide poisoning can kill you. In addition to the purely health-related benefit, consider these benefits as another financial gain as it helps you avoid healthcare and medication costs.
It Can Save You Money
One of the biggest monthly expenses from owning a home comes from your energy bill, and your furnace draws the most energy. There are a number of reasons to have it replaced as soon as possible in order to save you money in the long run:
- A less efficient furnace will have to work harder and use more energy to heat your home
- If you wait until it completely breaks down it could cause more serious damage to your home that would need to be repaired
- Getting a brand new and more efficient furnace will lower your bill compared to your old furnace when it was in optimal condition
So by waiting to replace your old furnace, you are essentially paying increasing amounts of interest to continue using it. Meanwhile, the savings off your energy bill and potential repairs would take a big chunk off of the cost to replace it by itself. In the long run, the newer and more efficient furnace will pay for itself and then some.
It Can Save Your Sanity
If you've ever lived in a home with an old furnace starting to break down, you'll know what that they can be a major source of annoyance. There are a number of ways they can drive you crazy, including the following:
- Grating noises such as rattling belts or other broken parts
- Odd smelling air circulated through your home due to a faulty heating mechanism
- Wildly fluctuating temperatures between rooms or in the same room over time
Imagine trying to sleep in a room that smells weird, has random sounds jarring you awake, and goes from hot to cold every hour or two. Or being unable to focus on work? Or ruining a night with friends or family?If saving your health or your money were not enough reason to replace your furnace as soon as possible, do it for your own sanity.